African Diaspora Contemporary Arts Initiative’s mission is to cultivate and facilitate collaboration, experimentation, and a productive network of relationships among artists of the African Diaspora. ADCAI 2020 will select two Chicago-based artists to attend one week of danceGATHERING 2020, an annual gathering for creatives coming from diverse backgrounds, a performance lab and anti-disciplinary convention, which takes place in Lagos, Nigeria April 6-19, 2020. Learn more about danceGATHERING and the theme for 2020 HERE.
Application Deadline: Friday, January 31, 2020
Awards Announced: Friday, February 14, 2020
What is Awarded:
- Basic registration fee, accommodation with a partner hotel, full board meals, Airport pick up and drop off ($1,500 value)
- Reimbursed international round trip airfare from Chicago, USA to Lagos, Nigeria
- Reimbursed visa fee for Nigerian tourist visa ($180 value)
- A small project stipend to support a follow-up collaboration project that extends from danceGATHERING
- Responsible for international travel plans, visa, local transportation and insurance
- Availability to attend one week of danceGATHERING (April 13-19, 2020)
- Maintain and submit receipts for reimbursement
- Final report on collaboration project and impact of participating in ADCAI 2020.
Who Can Apply: Any Chicago-based artist of any artistic discipline who is interested in collaborative and interdisciplinary practices.
How to Receive the Funds: Awards are distributed as a reimbursement for travel and visa fees. Funds will be distributed after the awardee recipient submits a reimbursement form with copies of receipts. The project stipend will be distributed after the conclusion of danceGathering.
Reporting: All recipients are required to submit a brief report about their experience and their collaborative project by August, 30, 2020.
Questions? Please contact Bridgette at email@example.com
To apply, please send a detailed motivation letter (1 page,12 point size font), stating your interest, give a brief background into your practice and/or research and why such a gathering is important for your practice and/or research at this time, state how you think you’ll add to the space we hope to create each year and why your coming for DG2020 is so important for you.
Also include in your application, a one page resume and a maximum of 3 links to past works online. Please note that we are a very small team, and due to the volume of applications we receive, any attached video or audio file or PDF aside what is requested will not be downloaded nor considered, only properly named CV and motivation letter shall be downloaded, we expect all others to come as an external link, not more than 3.
Incomplete or unsatisfactory application will not be considered.
Send your application, on or before January 31, 2020, to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject ADCAI2020 APPLICATION.